Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Need A Man's Help! Is That Sexist?

I Need A Man's Help! Is That Sexist?

When I was in college I bought my first car. The first car I actually owned was a hand-me-down from my parents (a 1988 Nissan Stanza to be exact, not exactly a pimp ride), but it’s life ended my senior year and I needed a replacement. At the time I was in a bit of an extended fight with my dad and we weren’t speaking at all. So when it came time to buy my car, I had to rely on my limited knowledge of automobiles in order to get the best deal on a used car that would see me through graduation. Normally this was a task that I would have heaped on my dad's shoulders; after all, Dads are the people you turn to in times of vehicular crisis. Mine wasn’t there, so I went at alone. What did I end up with? A 1993 Volkswagon Jetta. With 250,000 miles already on it. But it was teal! And the guy who sold it to me was 18 and tan! Needless to say, it was one of the more traditionally "girly" decisions of my life and I paid for it. The car had major clutch problems within months and just BARELY made it through the year. When it came to buying a car, I needed a man’s help. As sexist and as backwards as that may sound, I need one now too.In a similar story, when I first started dating my ex, ... read more




Buffalo Springfield Drummer Dewey Martin Dies

LOS ANGELES — Dewey Martin, the muscular, gregarious drummer and singer who helped found the pioneering country rock band Buffalo Springfield with Neil Young and Stephen Stills, has died. He was 68. Martin was found dead Sunday by a roommate in his Van Nuys apartment, longtime friend Lisa Lenes said. She said Martin had health problems in recent years and she believed he died of natural causes.




The Movie That Gives Mad Science A Bad Name

Check out this freaktastic bestiality/surgery scene from The Animal, starring Rob Schneider. Yes, the movie's just as awful as you could imagine, but with an extra layer of trippy dog-in-surgical-mask dance remix insanity. So if you're still able to comprehend actual language, and your brain hasn't been fused into a lump of putty after that first clip, here's an explanation: Schneider plays Marvin, a wannabe cop who gets in a near-fatal car accident. He's saved by a mustachio-ed mad scientist, who puts tons of animal parts in him, which give him animal superpowers but somehow leave the donor animals unharmed. The above sentence is more thought than the movie's screenwriters ever put into the concept. And here's the Mad Doctor himself explaining the whole shebang: Believe it or not, these are the two best scenes from the film. The rest of the film is Schneider doing god-awful animal impressions and peeing on people's doorways. He courts a Julia Butterfly Hill-esque woman while the police hunt a beast-person who's been disemboweling cows and mauling people. (And if you can't see where those two divergent storylines come together, you need a refresher course in shlockology.)




Grammy weekend kicks off with Neil Diamond tribute (AP)

AP - Jennifer Hudson's stirring vocals on "Holly Holy" and Coldplay's stripped-down version of "I'm A Believer" helped take Neil Diamond on a musical journey of his career.




Fire Postpones Billy Ray Cyrus' Makeover Moment (E! Online)

E! Online - Unfortunately, it's not the home that will need the extreme makeover after this.